So it’s that time of year again, when we look back on what we’ve accomplished in shame and embarrassment, then set ourselves unrealistic and unachievable goals for the next year! I’m perhaps a little late, but, hey, I have a once-a-week posting schedule and I’m sticking to it.
Here’s the highlights of 2011 in my writerly life:
- In January, my story The Last Free Bear was published at Heroic Fantasy Quarterly.
- Also in January, Last Words was published at Eschatology Journal.
- In November, The Judge’s Right Hand was published at Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- Aside from the sales mentioned above, I submitted seven other stories a total of 31 times to various markets.
- I completed the first draft of my third novel, The Wedding of Earth and Sky.
- I completed the first drafts of two other short stories.
- I wrote 55 blog posts. In December 2011 I had four times as many visitors as in January 2011!
- I moved across the country, bought a house, and changed jobs. (This was not, strictly speaking, a writing accomplishment, but it has to count for something.)
All in all, not a terrible year. So what am I hoping to do in 2012?
- Complete more short stories. I’m sort of embarrassed that I only finished two last year. For 2012, I’d like to get at least six first drafts put away.
- Completely revise The Wedding of Earth and Sky.
- Decide whether to self-publish this or any subsequent novel.
- Keep up with my once-a-week blogging schedule.
- Get all of my short stories published and optioned into movies starring Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson. The plot will be changed beyond all recognition and it will only get 68% at Rotten Tomatoes, but hey, Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson.
Happy New Year, everyone!
Happy New Year!
You accomplished quite a bit…and yes, that move and starting a whole new job thing actually counts. For real.
Great goals for 2012. The Judge’s Right Hand is what brought you to my attention. I look forward to more from you.
Best of luck with your endeavors.