I’m a few days late posting this (because reasons), but I’m very excited to post this interview I recently did with the folks on Conlangery, about the languages of Storm bride, and a bunch of other questions regarding fantasy literature and language creation. You can listen here:
We talk about:
- How I got into linguistics and conlanging
- Why there’s only two sentences of actual conlang in Storm Bride
- Why most fictional languages in SFF suck
- Ursula K. LeGuin’s Always Coming Home and other SFF works that at least try to get it right
- How to present strange phonologies without terrifying your readers
- Cultural appropriation issues when conlanging based on an real languages and cultures
- Other stuff that I can’t remember.
This was the most fun I’d had in a while! Hope you like listening.